Friday, January 22, 2016

Fans' favourite Hewitt memories

Throughout his 20-year career, Lleyton Hewitt has won the hearts of fans worldwide. Here's how they will remember him.


My memorable moment of Lleyton Hewitt goes back to 1998 when at 15 years old he became one of the youngest winners of an ATP tournament in Adelaide, defeating Jason Stoltenberg in the final, after having defeated Andre Agassi in the semi-finals. For me, this signalled his emergence on the scene and set up his career which has been remarkable ever since.
Greg Woodward, Thornleigh NSW, Australia

My best memory was his Davis Cup semifinal performance back 1999 and his interview afterwards where he said: ‘we’re gonna bring home the cup, I tell you’. It really shows his fighting spirit.
Rick, Germany

I saw Lleyton play in San Jose, California. My daughter was in the hospital fighting with a brain injury. At one point my husband said, ‘Go watch tennis. Lleyton is synonymous with fighting and never giving up’.
Mary Jolley, San Francisco, USA

The moment that I think defines Lleyton Hewitt’s career is also one of my favourite rallies of all time. It is from Indian Wells in 2005 against Roger Federer. The variety of shots from both guys is extraordinary as this was probably the year for us to see the best match possible between these two during their careers.
David Grice, UK

My best memory of Lleyton Hewitt was when he beat Sjeng Schalken 7-5 in the fifth set at Wimbledon 2002. I think the Dutchman was up 4-2 in the fifth set. I remember Hewitt ended the match with the running pass and fell to the ground as he hit the shot.
Vaibhav, Netherlands

My husband and I regularly attend the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. Back in 2007 or 2008
(not sure which) we went to the complimentary breakfast at our hotel and were stunned and thrilled to see Hewitt come into to the breakfast area. He was alone and dressed in a t-shirt and shorts­ and backwards cap, ­ and proceeded to fix himself a bowl of raisin bran and sit quietly and eat his rather meagre breakfast, considering it was a match day. No one approached him and he didn't speak to anyone. It was just so cool seeing him there so subdued in the middle of an ordinary breakfast. Later that day, we saw him play with his usual energy and abandon, and couldn't believe it was the same man who ate a simple bowl of cereal.
Mary Matzen, USA

Lleyton is a champion both on and off the court. My mum was Lleyton’s biggest fan and her greatest
wish was to watch him play live. She got to do it at a Davis Cup match in Brisbane about five years ago, by which time she was in an advanced stage of leukaemia. Lleyton surprised my mum and spent some time with her straight after a singles win. All her dreams came true that day thanks to this remarkable man. Mum died of leukaemia a few weeks later and Lleyton sent a lovely message to my dad. Lleyton is a champion on the court with a killer defensive lob but a bigger champion off the court and a truly remarkable human being.
Anita Wheatley, Australia

I met Lleyton and Tony Roche during the 2012 US Open while on holidays with my brothers. His second-round match against Gilles Muller was an out-of-body experience for me as a Lleyton fan which I will never forget. It came at a time when I was losing my dad to cancer, and Lleyton and his team inspired me more than I can say. I am very happy for him that he has the chance to call the end of his career on his own terms.
Darragh Kelly, Ireland

My most memorable moment of Lleyton Hewitt would have to be when he was competing in the UK
(either Wimbledon or Queens Club). After a long match, his son came down onto the court. Seeing them both sat next to each other, both of them sitting on the players bench ­ this will be how I will remember Lleyton’s tennis career.
Simon Davidge, Buckinghamshire, UK

Lleyton Hewitt has a massive heart and always be known as the five-set king.
John, Queens Park WA, Australia

About Hewitt’s legacy, I would add relentlessness, extra attention to fitness, and charisma, plus the fact he is a bit nuts.
Tom, Warsaw, Poland

I refuse to see him as retired. His strength is my best memory of him.
Alex, Romania

source:http://www.ausopen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment